Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cleaning Up a Hardtail

A hard-tail motorcycle is a motorcycle without rear suspension.......ouch!  This bike was already hard-tailed when I bought it, but it was done by an amateur.  Welds needed grinding as well as some more fabrication.  Marie has been working long days out of town so I have been occupying my time in the garage.  My neighbor Blake has been helping me with this project....I can't pay him cash, but he does like mass produced corn beer.  Well he's in luck......BKG has all sorts of fermented beverages.  Since Monday we have installed carburetors, fired the engine, stripped everything down, degreased the engine, ground down some bad welds, cut off some unwanted frame tabs, and bull-shitted a lot!  It's been fun.


I don't think it came off the showroom floor this way...

Carbs, battery, starter fluid= engine combustion


We had to drain the oil and remove the filter to take the engine out of the frame...

Now she looks cool!!!



30 years of grease being removed.



grinding down some bad welds....primer and paint will make this unnoticeable.
Hopefully I can get a welder and finish up some fabrication this weekend.  I've had a blast with this little 400cc build.  I am thinking about painting the frame metallic red, the fenders, fuel tank, and wheels flat black.  And installing some fat white walled tires too!  What do you think???

Bare Knuckled Willie is out!!!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of work, but can't wait to see more progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, this will look cool if you paint it and appoint it as described. I need to get in on this action too! You and Mark are outpacing me but I can't find any reasonable deals in my local ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't find any good deals either until Connor found me one haha. I went all the way back to Willie's first motorcycle post and he said that he was excited to finally have a bike because he felt like everyone wanted too much $$$ for their junk and he finally found that old KZ for the right price. I felt the same way until I found my old KZ with Connor's help. I was getting ready to give up, but I didn't and you can't either Matthew, keep looking!

    With respect to this post, while I think the bike is pretty rad looking, I do find it sad when people chop vintage frames. Connor you are a bigger man than me for taking someone's chop-junk and turning it into treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet I could fix up 2 bikes for every 1 you can do ;-) You're a bike fixing machine! Very impressed.

    ReplyDelete