Sunday, March 3, 2013

Twins!


Yesterday the Busted Knuckle Garage made another purchase.  Twin Twins.  Some people think I am crazy for adding two more cycles, but I know what I am doing....just bear with me.  Completely original 39 year old bikes with titles are selling great (collectors are always looking for this type of bike....I won't have any problem selling these).   I found a killer deal on Craigslist yesterday morning and went looking at 10am.  That's right, the early bird gets the worm!
Good Looking Birthday Girl

These are two 1974 Kawasaki KZ 400.  They are complete bikes and both have titles.  The blue one runs and I think I can get the orange bike running in a week or so.  These are some projects.....I'm not going to do a full restore, just a little tinkering to get them running good and road worthy.  Then they will go up on the auction block.

Update on the CB 750's (Yes plural...remember?  There are two/were two.)

I sold the first CB bought in October last night.  An Army boy is going to completely rebuild. Good luck to him.

The CB750 I purchased about a week and half ago is very ill.  I put close to 100 miles on it before it went down.  Not a crash, but engine problems.  I rode it to work on Tuesday and it was running great. 
Before it got ill.
I jumped on it around 4:00pm that afternoon and it made a horrible grinding noise when I pushed the starter button.  My initial thought was that the cam chain broke (similar to the timing belt on a car).  If this was the case the engine would need a total rebuild from the crankcase on up to the head.  I trailered the bike that evening to my mechanic so he could fit it into his schedule to give me a diagnosis.  He called my Thursday and gave me a little news.  Long story short was that it's not the cam chain!  Looks like on cylinder #4 the valve is bent and stays open.  When the piston drives up it bangs the valve shut (hints the noise).  I could have left it with him and it would cost $700-$900....I chose to take it home and fix myself.  I have a great neighbor willing to help.  The main cost in this repair would have been the labor (motorcycle shop time is $70/hr).  The complete engine needs to be removed.  That thing weighs in the neighborhood of 250lbs.  I'll keep you posted.

Yesterday morning I was in HOT water with the Boss having 4 motorcycles.  Today there are 3 and 2 of them are on their way out.  The water is still warm....but cooling.

Stay tuned for some repairs....


3 comments:

  1. Did you try to sweet-talk the Boss with some funfetti?? She sure looked good on the bike she modeled with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That's a lot of bike turnover at the busted knuckle garage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete