Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kölsch



Kölsch.....the word is an appellation.  Only brewers in the city of Cologne (Koln), Germany following certain guidelines may use the name, (just like Champagne is only Champagne when made in the Champagne region of France) although that name protection doesn't seem to extend to the United States, where it has become the generic term for the pale, softly hoppy beer that is just barely not a lager. Kölsch is crisp, but not sharp; balanced, but not excessively bitter.  The aroma has a slight hint of furitiness with a dryish palate with a hint of creaminess due to the small amount of wheat used.  


I chose to brew a Kölsch because our weather here in the PacNW has taken its turn towards winter.  It's not cool enough to brew a traditional lager......so a cool crisp Kölsch will be very session-able while working in BKG.

Busted Knuckle Nectar

Ingredients:
7# American 2-Row
2# American Wheat
1/2# Munich Light
60 minute mash at average temperature of 150F
60 minute boil
1oz Perle  60 min
1/2oz Tettnanger 30 min
1/2oz Tettnanger  10 min
OG:  1.054

My Original Gravity was a little high due to my lower final wort volume.  I think this should be a great quaffable brew.  Come over in 2 weeks and lets enjoy a pint!
 

4 comments:

  1. Nice choice for the BKG. Your crew is bound to love it after a hard day of cutting the grease off those old motos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will enjoy drinking a Kolsch with you this fall. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will enjoy drinking a Kolsch with you this fall. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I would love to come over in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete