Sunday, July 6, 2014

Building a cafe racer seat.....



I'm turning my 1975 Honda CB500 twin into a bad ass cafe racer, click here for more info on cafe racers.  I could spend a couple hundred dollars and buy a metal or fiberglass seat that would do the job just fine.......or I can fabricate my own........if you know me then you know what I did.

First I fabricated a rear hoop in the frame
Bent some round stock steel into the desired shape and tack welded.
Added a backbone.
Heated, banged, bent sheet metal to fit to develop a cowling.
Added a seat pan.
Applied light weight body filler to smooth out the imperfections.

Sprayed with primer.
I had my upholster sew up some deer hide leather to fit on the seat pan.
Starting to look like something!


 







2 comments:

  1. You're amazing, Willie! Looks very handsome already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know where to begin to express my true appreciation for your craft. Your work is stunning, seriously, if I were faced with the proposition of fabricating my own cafe racer seat I would have researched the hell out of it and then I would have cowered and cried in the corner. Willie just gets it done, SO impressive.

    ReplyDelete