Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What To Do???

Newaukum Lake....just a beautiful view!

This is just what I was wondering when Marie told me she was going to Marion to help Papa Chuck, Martha Sue, and B-Love. Two weeks is a long time to be with out my Lady Marie.....so, what to do?  Well, I need to work (bleh), garden, tinker on bikes, give the cats some attention, and brew some fine beer. 
Growing strong!

The hoop garden is really taking off this year.  I started about a month earlier than last year......inside there are Walla-Walla onions (sweet), snap peas, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, corn, dill, sunflower, red potatoes, and a whole lot of volunteers from our compost. 

I just dream about riding...
Local sign shop made the vinyl number plate decals....73 is the birth year...

I've been hard at work fixing up "Ellie"......I can't wait to take her down the road.  I already have a buyer for her and I know he is eager to take her off my hands. 

Dry-hopped English Bitter Ale
I've been doing some brewing this spring and haven't mentioned much of it to my viewers.  Last Sunday I brewed batch #46.....Session-able IPA.  I really have enjoyed low alcohol content brews.  I love a mug of fine home brew while gardening, tinkering, or just relaxing on the weekend.  Brews in the past have been in the 7% alcohol content......to me that's just too high, so I have been aiming for the 4.6-5.2% content.  That way I can have a couple mugs and not get the head buzz.  
Mash temp is holding...
Randomly adding the hop mix...

#46 Session-able IPA
10# Two-Row
1# Munich
1/2# Crystal 60L
60 min infusion mash
.5oz Warrior 15.4 AA  60min
The remainder of the hops were randomly added from 35min - 0 min  (Dogfishead technique)
.5oz Warrior, 1oz Simcoe, 1oz Amarillo, .5oz Citra

Dry hopped .5oz Citra

White Labs California Ale yeast.

I can't wait to keg this and quaff!
Quaffn' a Bitter...

#45 English Bitter Ale
9# Two Row
1# Munich
.5# Crystal 40L
2oz Chocolate Malt
60 min infusion mash

1.5oz EKG 90
.5oz  EKG 15
.5oz  EKG 5
.5oz  EKG Dry Hopped

washed yeast wash used from batch #44 Old Cantankerous Ale

This brew was fantastic!...I kegged it and have shared with friends......almost gone though.
Old Cantankerous hop varieties
Music....Active fermentation!

#44 Old Cantankerous Ale
6# Two-Row
5# Marris Otter
1.25# Carastan
1.5# Munich
1 # Vienna
2oz Special B
2oz Chocolate malt
60 min infusion mash
90 min boil
.5oz Magnum
1oz N.Brewer
1oz Saaz
1oz Hallertau
1oz Spalt

pitched British Ale yeast.

This brew turned out well, its full of malty, bready, sweet flavor.  I'm letting this one lager until the cooler months.  I have probably consumed half the keg....note that I brew 4 gallon batches.

My favorite session lager to date!

#43 Jamil's German Pils
11# Pilsen
60 min infusion mash
90 min boil
1oz Perle 60min
.5oz Hallertau 15min
.5oz Hallertau  1 min

haha....don't remember the yeast. I think it was Bavarian though???

sun bathing....
time for shade...don't want to get burnt...
Keeping cool on the concrete...
Statue....
Lazy Sunday...

The kittens missed Marie so much!!!......but not near as much as I did.  I am thankful she was able to help our family, but even more thankful she came home to my arms! 





3 comments:

  1. Willie, you're amazing. Thanks for sending Lady Marie so I could hog Mawtha for a while... I really needed her (I only wish I could have seen Marie, too). Glad you stayed busy while she was gone, but even more glad you're reunited and can start looking forward to your big trip! Less than a month to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renaissance Willie. Looks like you stayed busy...I always like that photo of the pils near the gas tank....great pic...great looking beer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Tucker, never ceasing to amaze me with your endless capacity to accomplish amazingly interesting and beautiful feats. Every bike you turn out is more gorgeous than the one before it, all your beers look fantastic, and the hoop garden is looking great!

    ReplyDelete