Monday, March 17, 2014

Hoop and Pan

This is where we lay...
On the last episode "Still Wrenchin" I left off with wanting to build a rear hoop and seat pan.  I've never been a fan of factory seats on vintage Japanese motorcycle.  In my opinion they're too bulky and way too long.  If you remember I fabricated a new seat pan for the "brat", well I'm doing the same for the CB500F......which I've named "Ellie"....more on that later. 
My friend Bill Vanhousen.....owner of Van's Motorsports...setting up his pipe bender.
To describe this project briefly.....I needed a 1" pipe and bend it 180 degrees to create a half circle "hoop". The hoop marries each side of the rear frame.....this will give me a platform to create a simple flatter style seat pan.  Let's let pictures describe the process:

I didn't want a flat hoop for this seat.....I want what they call a "kick up"...so I put the hoop in a vise and pulled on it until I reached the desired "kick up" angle.
make sense???
you understand???
In order for the hooped pipe to be attached to the original frame a "slug" is used.  The slug fits inside both the frame and new hoop...the slug is a solid piece of metal.
the slug is spot welded into the frame...
top view of the slug.....
I had to cut the hoop in half because Bill's pipe bender's die bended 180 degree at a 10" radius....my frame is a 9" width.  So I had to cut 1" out of the angle.
I put a slug in the 180 degree angle and spot welded it....
a look at my weld on the pipe.....I'm definitely an amateur, but I'm not complaining about this weld...
I ground down my weld so it looks like I never modified the frame at all......after a powder coat paint you'll never be able to tell...
yours truly hard at work...
after the hoop was in place I designed a seat pan....i start with cardboard first...
then i take it to small gauge metal...
kinda resembles a skate board...
I want a leather seat rather than a weatherproof vinyl.  I'm going to go to our local glove factory and buy a deer skin pelt.  I think it will be sweet......once again I'll keep you posted!




2 comments:

  1. Impressive, per usual, Mister Tucker!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WCT, That is an excellent looking weld! And I think this bike seat is going to turn out really nice. You are putting a lot of thought into this bike and seat. Makes me think you will be keeping this one in the stable?

    ReplyDelete