Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Building it Back

After 2 coats of primer

These last few weeks have been quite a learing experience in the painting department.  Luckily I have some friends in the auto/collision industry and they have been giving me some pointers.  After tearing down the entire bike, I degreased, stripped and prepped for priming.  I chose a Rustoleum sandable primer.  After two coats of primer and few passes of  600 grit sandpaper it's time for the top coat.

Starting to put back together.

 The top coat is a Dupli-Color Flat/Matte Black with a Dupli-Color clear coat.  Everyting will be flat black except the gas tank and side covers.  Originally I wanted a metallic light blue....but I couldn't find a decent sample.  I did find a nice metallic red....Retro Red from Dupli-color.  Retro red is a metallic red in a spray paint can (rattle can).
Primed and sanded
Retro Red
Along with a nice new paint job, I purchased some new tires.  I went for a classic/vintage tread.  Dunlop tire is remaking a tread from the 70's.

 Tonight I started piecing together the bike.  I didn't get too far, but hopefully I will have it done by the weekend.
Back to a roller
Stay tuned. 

2 comments:

  1. Uh where is all this painting and rebuilding happening?? Because I know there is no space in the garage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete