Monday, September 17, 2012

Blackberry Jam


So.... I caught a little blackberry fever last week.  EVERYONE around here talks about blackberries being the quintessential fruit of September.  Blackberry pies, blackberry wine, blackberry jam.  I decided to give the latter a try.  How hard could it be?  Well... it wasn't as easy as my sweet neighbor said it would be (mostly because I am not patient enough), but I got it to work out eventually.

Our streets and paths and yards are lined with these invasive blackberry bushes.  These blackberries aren't as sweet as true wild blackberries, and they aren't as juicy as cultivated ones. Plus, they have a lot of thick seeds.  But, they are gorgeous and free and I found them to be delicious.

I cooked up 9 cups of berries with 6 cups of sugar.  Supposed to stir til thick... Well, I quit a little early since I am impatient.  Ended up with Blackberry Syrup the first time around.

Second time around I had some perfect jars of jam.  I didn't actually have to waste the syrup. Just popped open the cans, cooked the syrup for a bit longer, re-washed and sanitized the jars, re-filled, and did another round in a hot water bath.  
I have already eaten a jar. Might have to make some more this weekend... Connor and I are going to hike a trail to Packwood Lake. I am hoping I can find some of the wild blackberries which supposedly make a nearly seedless jam. 
xoxox Wishing for family.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing for you right back. Teach me your ways, obe wan. I need a canning friend! and someone with free produce.

    ReplyDelete