Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Making Some Changes.....for the Good!


The KZ project is coming along "somewhat" smoothly.   I spoke with my local bike shop today and they sadly informed me that the carburetor jets have been on backorder for the past week.  This is a real bummer, I thought I would have had them by now and buzzing our hill.  I did receive two ebay purchases this week....one being a set of side covers and the other is a new aftermarket flat/drag handlebar.  I am looking for that cafe/bobber style....all I am lacking is some fat tires and the back fender cut shorter. Hopefully this weekend I can make my mind up on how to cut the fender.  I plan on buying an aftermarket bullet style tail light and front and rear signal lights.  Last weekend I took the "new to me" seat pan and built a new seat.  I didn't want the dual seat position that I had before.  This is a cafe/bobber now, I want a flat and uncomfortable seat.  I played around with the old seat foam.....some movie theatre seat foam....and carpet padding.  I finally picked the carpet pad.  

I have known since the bike has been running that the head gasket is leaking.  After doing some research on the KZ I have found out in discussion threads that this is quite normal for this style and they didn't really fix the problem until Kawasaki changed the engine in the late 70's.  Since the top end is going to be torn down I will replace the gaskets and the piston rings for sure....maybe even the pistons.  If the new jets don't solve the smokey muffler problem this will.  I hope to discuss this with the shop tomorrow morning about this next step.  I did ride it around the block a few times tonight and it ran pretty good.  I had a few stutters along the way and I'm not sure its from the head or the carb.  Only time will tell.  I do like the position I sit with the new seat and flat handlebars. 
Day 1
Tonight after the ride.  Like my retro style open face helmet?

1 comment:

  1. looking good - probably looks even better when you're on it! ;)

    ReplyDelete