Tuesday, July 24, 2012

KAWA-SAKI!!!


Well it's been about a week and half since the moto purchase.  It has been quite a learning experience as well as just pure enjoyment.   Last Friday I got the beast to run on some starter fluid and tonight I rode it around the block two times.   It needs more work, but also this was a relief to know that this project is on the right track.  I hope Marie isn't jealous of the new love I have for the two wheel machine that I have stuffed in our tiny garage.  Working on this machine has brought back great memories of the bikes I had in North Carolina....then I really didn't know what I was doing.  I would buy a bike, a manual and just tinker until it was running.  Turning wrenches is really a passion I have that has been lost, but now found. 

Here is some progress of the KZ400.
Transfered the title to my name
Had a key made (there was no key in the sale, local locksmith picked the lock and made me a key)
New battery
Replaced fuel line, spark plug boot and plug, oil filter and oil, new fuses
New pod filters
New carb intake boots
I purchased a 1975 fuel tank (the bike came with a 1978) and Clymer repair manual.

Here are some bikes I came across on NC picture files.
1982 Suzuki GS 450
1980 Yamaha XS 400
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1984 Honda CB 400T Hawk

These pics weren't taken of the finished products, but they were somewhere along the way.

Alex wants to ride!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work, CT! It sounds like you've got this project under control! Alex is adorable. I bet he is having the BEST time with Uncle Connor and Aunt Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find a bike. You should cafe this, nothing extreme, just lowered bars and maybe a plank seat instead of the two-up seat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome project! Looks like fun - we just need to get Mark to purchase another ;-) Alex looks like a natural, soon he will be wanting one too. You better be careful!

    ReplyDelete