Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Journey of July


July is already half way over.....Time is just flying by with travels and work schedules.  Marie and I found a hidden treasure in our county last Sunday, Newaukum Lake.  I have heard stories from the old timers on how to get to the lake as well as stories of its beauty and the abundance of trout for 4 years now.  After a few questions and with the help of Google Maps we made it.  Our first attempt on July 4 was a failure do to taking the wrong vehicle and loosing daylight.  But we totally redeemed ourselves on Sunday.  We got an early start and drove the Xterra.  This lake is about 15 miles off the highway on gravel logging roads.  It felt like we where climbing at >15 degree incline.  Most of the roadway is along the sides of the mountain top.  We climbed to about 3000 feet.  The views are breath taking to say the least.

After Driving as far as possible we got out and hoofed it.  We were super exicited that we were going to reach water at any turn in the trail.  We found a fresh horse trail and took it....it was the right move.  We saw 300 year old red cedar trees.  Some were up to 8 feet in diameter.  15 minutes later we saw the bright shimmer of a snow melt fed lake.  Newaukum Lake is approximately 8 acres.  


I brought my spinning rod just in case we made it to the lake.  Well since we did, I went ahead and wet my line.  I caught a little trout on the second cast.  Pics of this arent avaiable for the nature of the picture (I was only wearing my undies wading in the water).  I ended up catching another trout (about 8 inches) a few minutes later.  Marie took a sun bath while I fished.  I came across a fairly large piece of stryrofoam and performed a Tom Sawyer.

We stayed a few hours out on this beautiful hidden treasure before returning home.  We will travel there again!  Pictures don't do it justice.  This place truely is heaven. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds so peaceful and perfect... glad you found the hidden treasure and could enjoy it together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, just playing catch-up on blogs here, I am truly jealous of this little journey. It looks awesome out there, that old cedar is beautiful, and it looks like you guys were alone out there, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - just like the couple in the pictures! I love the fishing skills Connor! Let's meet there and spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good story, and an awesome journey. Makes me think of my 10 day stint in WA almost 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to make it out there on Thursday. Any tips on how to make it down to the lake?

    ReplyDelete