Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Time for vegetables!


Fall is the perfect time to take advantage of all the delicious bounty that harvest season has to offer. (isn't this sunflower gorgeous?) I was in the mood for a nutritious and delicious soup... So, in my meal plan for the week, I decided to make this quick and easy Minestrone.  (Of course, I rarely follow a recipe... so I didn't use green beans, but did use celery. I also didn't put in orzo.  I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. I also added basil with the oregano.)  Put on the pot to simmer, put some beets in the oven to roast (super easy; just peel and chop, toss with oil/salt/pepper and wrap in foil, 350 for 45-60 minutes)...

...Went for a long walk and came home to a satisfying meal, complete with a slice of cheese toast. Yummy.  Eat your vegetables. They are tasty. They are packed with vitamins and minerals.  Your sister is the boss and she said, "Do it."

The soup is savory; the beets are sweet; the cheese toasts adds that chewy/crunch. 
In other news... our house is being taken over by never-ending jars of salsa... and endless rows of carboys and beer bottles full to the brim with brew... I think Connor is getting ready to add a post, so I'll shut up!

2 comments:

  1. so I'm down with this recipe with the exception of butternut squash. that sounds SO WEIRD in a savory soup... is it just me? was it good? I just didn't know what to think about that. Looks tasty, wish we could make some soup together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude. Just do it. It was totally delicious. It was why I picked this recipe. It gave it a little something extra. I looked forward to each bite with butternut squash. Butternut squash rocks my socks.

    ReplyDelete