Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Ale

With the air getting cooler and pumpkins starting to show up at the local farmers market I thought that a Spiced Pumpkin Ale would be a great brew to brew!  I developed an amber ale recipe that should have some real nice spice.  I didn't want a brew that tasted too rich in spice so hopefully this will have a nice mellow taste, just like a slice of grandmas pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving!
 So I stated off with cutting the pumpkin in half, scooping out the strings and seeds and roasting in an oven preheated at 375F for 1 hour 15 min.  I kept the seeds and roasted them separately with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  They were very yummy!  After the pumpkin cooled I scooped the flesh and put in a bowl and blended it all up with my trusty hand held immersion blender (I couldn't live without one). 
I brought my mash water up to temp and added it to the mash tun.  I mixed the grain and pumpkin puree to the mash water and let them do some extraction.  I'll get back to you in a month on how it turns out!

Three fermenters in the brewathroom (Tucker Lupulinaide, Scottish and Vanilla Bourbon Porter) going strong.  Don't forget there are two upstairs aging as well (Kriek and Peche).  I bottled the Vanilla Bourbon Porter to make room for the Spiced Pumpkin Ale.


We also made another ton of salsa.  I added extra jalapenos, but there seems to be no heat!????? Maybe some age will help?  If not- lots of mild salsa to share with visitors.

2 comments:

  1. are you suggesting that your visitors might be wimps??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the picture of Eno on the counter behind the pumpkin... looks very Halloween-y. Max would've suggested to add some cayenne to the salsa!

    ReplyDelete