Monday, April 23, 2012

Finally, It's Garden Thyme!!!

Well, I do believe spring has arrived here in WA.  We had three days that were in the 70's, sunny and baby blue sky.  I, Connor aka Willie decided that it was time to get the garden in shape, I want to grow all of our vegetables.  I started trimming some perrinials back to allow the new growth to soak up some rays.  It wasn't long until Lefty found his favorite pot, the catnip pot.  I trimmed back some dead stalks and he jumped right up and sniffed, rolled and licked his favorite herb.  He was in feline heaven.
After Lefty got stoned and left, Eno jumped up and got his fix too. These cats are hilarious! 
If you remember from some past garden posts, our raised garden is consturcted from used rail road cross ties.  It was an 8'x8' bed double stacked with ties.  This year I want more space for more veggies.  I stretched the garden with the ties making a single stack 8'x16' bed.  We had plenty of soil from a recent purchase, I bought a cubic yard of topsoil about 3 weeks ago.  The top soil consists of manure, mushroom compost and sand.  I borrowed a tiller to turn over the new addition and mix all the soil together.  I was super excited because I love machinery and this would only take a few minutes to run.  I picked up the tiller, changed the oil (it was from the 60's) and put in a new spark plug.  I fiddled with it for about an hour, I just couldn't get the ancient piece of (*^)*&%&^$%$ to turn over.  I came to the conclusion that the motor was locked up. It would just barley turn over and you could feel that there was a grind in the engine stroke.  Well to say the least, I got a damn good work out clearing the sod and turning over the earth. 
When I took a Cyrstal Light break my sweet Lady took some time from her Sunbathe to help spread the new soil.
Just about finished.  We have to put up a net fence because of the deer.  They love to eat our vegetables.  They ate our tomato plants on our back patio 3 different times last year.  We are really prepared this year. Also, Lefty thinks this is a big litter box.  He thinks he is helping fertilize.
The Hops are back and reaching for the sun!  They are Cascade and Chinook varieties.
It is still a little cool here most nights to plant some things in the ground.  I have never started seeds indoors so I thought I would start this season.  I planted some outdoors in pots and in the new garden and some in this new indoor green house.  Here is the planting;
yellow onion
beets
carrots
snap pea
jalapeno
Hungarian wax pepper
cayenne pepper
ancho pepper
Anaheim pepper
cilantro
dill
rattlesnake bean
pickling cucumber
sunflower
yellow squash
carving pumpkin
canteloupe
romaine
mesclun mix
lunaria
cynoglossum blue


You know us, we are super excited about progress! Stay tuned for growth updates.

2 comments:

  1. This post is so exciting!! I cracked up at the cats in the catnip, too cute. And I bet your garden will be amazing this year! I am so envious. Matt and I planed just two tomato plants (an heirloom slicing tomato and a roma for cooking) at his house. I would love to branch out a little next year. Marie is a supermodel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just miss you both so much. The garden is going to be amazing. I am certainly jealous. You know how to do things right Willie! Marie, you are sexy, I definitely agree with Margaret. Mark and I need to get out some blogs period, but our planting efforts so far need to be reported! Finally, the titten tats are the cutest ever... oh Lefty sitting on his drugs, love it!!! Eno got seconds, poor guy :(

    ReplyDelete